Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cubs, White Sox and Obama Make Chicago Center of the Universe

Interesting baseball playoffs coming up.  First you have compelling and traditional teams like the Cubs, Dodgers and Red Sox, recent World Series winners like the White Sox and Angels, and newcomers such as the Brewers and the Rays.  The Phillies are in there, too, and the Yankees are not.

Half of the first round divisional play offs look like cake walks.  Since CC Sabathia can't pitch every day, I don't expect the Brewers to put up much of a fight against the Phillies. Too much Phillies offense versus very weak Brewers pitching means Philadelphia will advance to the National League Championship Series.

Same in the American League, where I expect the Rays to beat the White Sox.  That series will be tighter than the Brewers-Phillies match up, but I'm still not sold on the ChiSox despite having Obama as a fan.  The Rays will drop a game but move on.

The other two series look like great match ups. Angels-Red Sox is a World Series-worthy series.  The Angels were a trendy pick for a while, and I still think they will win this series.  But the reason has more to do with the Sox than the Angels.  Beckett is hurt, Lowell and Drew are banged up, and the Red Sox bull pen is not that strong. The Red Sox will give them a run, but I see the Angels advancing 3 games to 2.

The Dodgers-Cubs match up is another intriguing one, the best of the four first-round series.  The Cubs look like the best team in the NL, but the Dodgers pitching staff will give them fits - and they have Manny Ramirez.  Derek Lowe has been fantastic down the stretch, as has Chad Billingsley.  Then again, Rich Harden and Ryan Dempster could equal things out.  My head says Cubs, but my gut says pick the Dodgers and their pitching in a 5 game series.  This one will be close and tense with some great baseball. 

So I think it will be Phillies vs. Dodgers (or Cubs) in the NL, and the Rays advancing to play the Angels in the AL.  

 

3 comments:

Steven said...

I have LAA too, but went with the Schlubbies over the Dodgers. The big problem is that LA can't catch the ball.

You can check out the rest at http://firejimbowden.blogspot.com.

Justin said...

Based on your past postseason predictions, something tells me you might be a little off - maybe that's why you only picked the first round???

The Brewers are on a roll, so I'm going with them. Cubs have been playing on auto-pilot for the last week or two, so I agree that the Dodgers will win that series. I also think the Rays will win.

As for the Red Sox, they will either get blown out or go 5 games and win. Recent history argues for the Angels going down. I've gotta go with the Red Sox.

Dodgers over the Brewers in NLCS - Torre looks like a hero. The Rays crumple under the pressure and the Red Sox take the ALCS.

It'll be Manny vs Red Sox in the World Series - talk about drama. The Red Sox will be healthier and overpower the Dodgers, winning the Series in 6 games.

Athan said...

Very perceptive Justin. That IS the reason I only picked the first round. I even hedged Cubs-Dodgers. I think the winner of that series will probably win the World Series.