Monday, March 31, 2008

Nats Win 3-2 in the Ninth in Nats Park Debut

All four us of went to Opening Day at Nationals Stadium last night.   We had a great time at the new park, but that was mainly due to Ryan Zimmerman as opposed to the $600+ million stadium.

That game was one of the most phenomenal sports experiences I've ever had. Zimmerman always seems to rise to the occasion, and he certainly did last night.  

As most of you probably know, the Nats gave up the lead in the top of the 9th on a Jon Rauch wild pitch.  Prior to that pitch the crowd was pumped.  It was two outs, with a Braves runner on third.  Everyone was on their feet in anticipation of the third out stranding the tying runner at third.  With one wild pitch the crowd completely deflated.

In the bottom of the 9th the first two Nats, Guzman and Milledge, were easily dispatched by the Braves' pitcher. But as soon as Zimmerman, the face of the franchise, stepped out of the dug out the crowd got back on its feet. It was as if all 40,000 fans in attendance thought to themselves, 'Cool, Zimmerman's up; he'll simply hit a home run to win this game, the first one in the new stadium.'  And that is exactly what happened!  Unbelievable what Zimmerman did last night.   Simply unbelievable, and dare I say Hansbroughesque?

Quick Nats Notes
  • The new park looks good and is certainly a huge upgrade on RFK.   But as I posted earlier it's not like Camden Yards or other new retro stadiums.  I like it because it's intimate and has better seats, bathrooms, and food.  But I'm not sure it's an awe inspiring stadium like Camden Yards, AT&T Park in SF, or Pittsburgh with the views of the river and Roberto Clemente Bridge.  Perhaps if I sat in one of the seats with a view of the Capitol and the Monument I would feel differently.  
  • We got there early to check out the park and beat the crowd through security.  President Bush was there, so everyone was screened and had to go through medal detectors.
  • Door to door it took less than an hour from our home in NW DC.  It's a nice trip by Metro.  Ditto for the ride home.  It was crowded but we didn't have trouble getting on a train and did not have to wait long to board.
  • Though we got there early it was so crowded that no one felt like walking around.  The kids and I had already done a lap when we visited during the college baseball game played there last weekend.  Alison went for food and visited the team store but other than bathroom breaks we stayed put.
  • We were able to attend that college game and get 4 tickets to opening day courtesy of my brother John's connections with an employee of the Nats.  Thanks again Johnny and Catherine for the four tickets in section 111, row AA (our regular season tickets are in section 206).
  • Ariadne and Evan are really great fans.  Unlike many folks at the game last night they did not miss a single pitch (except during two bathroom breaks).  They were really into it, every pitch, and cried when Zimmerman homered.
  • I lustily booed President Bush when he stepped on to the field to throw out the first pitch.  I was planning to sit on my hands when he came out, but as soon as I saw him come out of the dug out I stood up and booed until I was hoarse (and for the record, I also called him a 'war mongering red neck').  I got a few dirty looks from some fellow fans - and my wife and kids - but the folks in front and next to me supported my free speech (to say nothing that as a DC taxpayer I helped pay for the stadium so had special dispensation to boo).  The Post reported that the President was greeted with equal parts boos and cheers.
  • The booing ended well.  Two rows below us were four folks in Texas A&M jackets and gear.  One of them turned to me after my rant and said something like 'real classy' or something sarcastic like that. But as soon as Zimmerman homered who was the first guy I high fived? That guy, who by the 9th inning had been abandoned by his pals and needed someone to celebrate with. He and I later walked up the aisle together too, raving about the game like we were 8 years olds.   Sport is good. 

No comments: