Saturday, June 7, 2008

Big Soccer Day

We have a relatively big soccer day ahead of us today (Saturday).  It's the final day of the regular season for Stoddert soccer, and Evan claims this is his last season of playing.  We'll see if today is indeed the end of that era. Ariadne, on the other hand, still wants to play and has indicated an interest in going to goalie camp.

The other big football news is the kick off of EURO 2008.   The first game is at noon eastern between host Switzerland and the Czech Republic.  Turkey and Portugal play later today, and Greece debuts on Tuesday.  

Greece, the defending champs, are getting absolutely no respect by prognosticators.   They were huge underdogs in 2004 and won and are getting similar treatment even as the tournament holders.   I still have them winning their group. 

Finally, if I'm known for anything it is my bold soccer predictions.  It's not much of prediction, but don't be surprised if Fani Gekas leads Greece to the final four.  Gekas led the German Bundisliga in scoring in 2007, so in addition to their usual tough defense I think Ellas will score more this tournament.

NBA Finals

I am definitely rooting for the Lakers in the Finals. I went in to game 1 agnostic, but as soon as they tipped off I was cheering for LA. WARNING: NAME DROPPING ALERT:  I was reminded that in the 80s I often rooted for the Lakers - in the Finals - first and foremost because of my old drinking buddy James Worthy (true story; got drunk with him a few times when we dated women who were roommates) and second because of my boy Chuck Todd, a long time Laker fan who canvassed with me back in the olden days.

As much as I like Boston the town, etc. I simply can't root for the C's.  

Hats off to Paul Pierce though.  He played a terrible first half, but came out of half time determined to carry his team, and he did with that four-point play and quick six points.  And that was before he sprained his knee.  KG justifiably gets much of the press for the Celtics, but that is Paul Pierce's team and he reminded the basketball world of that fact on Thursday.

As well as Pierce played, Kobe Bryant played that bad.  That probably means it's curtains for the Celtics.  Kobe seems to be as competitive as Jordan, so look for his to have a huge game 2 for the Lakers, and don't be surprised if LA wins four straight to take the title.

Nats Update

Man, the Nats look terrible.  Their starting pitching is relatively decent, and closer John Rouch has been good, too. But their offense reminds me of a Double A team.   How many major league teams have used players like Dimitri Young and Aaron Boone at clean up!? Both of those guys  are serviceable major leaguers, but not clean up hitters.  The Nats have guys who are natural seventh place hitters batting fourth.  Not good.

Not that they have much choice among the myriad Reds rejects (Pena, Kearns, etc.) on their roster and the injuries.  But even when healthy, the Nats don't have a power bat in their lineup.  Before he got hurt, Nick Johnson, a natural second-place or maybe a guy who could bat third, hit clean up.  

Sounds like the Nats picked up a nice pitcher in the first round of the draft on Thursday, a guy who could be a number 2 starter in one or two years.  But it's also hard to understand how they could ignore drafting a power hitter.    Jim Bowden, the inadequate Reds reject GM of the Nats, simply does not inspire confidence.

Off to soccer! Zito H Ellas!

3 comments:

Jeff said...

Watch out for Russia as a darkhorse. Their coach is Dutch and has a fantastic record of taking teams deep into tournaments.

Anonymous said...

I have had a long, enjoyable, hate-filled relationship with the Celtics. And I'm cheering for them.

I would have thought that impossible before now, but then Boston got a couple of my favorite players, KG and Ray Allen, and the Lakers reminded me they have Kobe, and … There, you go. Yay, team.

It's as simple as that: Kobe makes me a Celtics fan. I say that to my shame.

It's the green and clover that I'm ashamed of, not my dislike of Kobe. He's got so much talent and so little integrity. It's the latter, of course, that's the deal-breaker. His love for coach k, his actions during his rape trial, his comments about Mitch, they all add up to “despicable toad.”

I'd hate for him to be rewarded with another ring.

Anonymous said...

I was agnostic until drama-queen Paul Pierce faked a knee injury. Never have I lost so much respect for a player so quickly. I've sprained and torn knee ligaments, and it isn't pleasant. If you really need your teammates to carry you from the floor to a wheelchair, you aren't skipping back into the arena anytime soon-- certainly not five minutes later like Pierce did.

And for those of you who don't like the Yankees and their overpaid, underachieving athletes, you have to root against, well, both teams I guess. The Celtics execs bought themselves a team because of whiny fans, and the Lakers bought Gasol because of whiny Kobe. And I always wondered why my dad hated Curt Flood so much.