Saturday, March 20, 2010

Socrates and March Madness

Socrates famously said "Why do you think I should drink hemlock?"  


He also said 'all I know is I know nothing.'  That is certainly appropo for me and the NCAA Tournament.  I thought this would be a pretty boring tournament but Thursday was anything but (of course, since Carolina is not in this year I didn't watch much of it, but I read it was a terrific day).  


Friday, yes, was boring, with the inevitable wins by number 1 seeds and the continued frustrations of Clemson and Florida State.  Oliver Purnell has yet to win an NCAA tournament game at Clemson, and they should have defeated a mediocre Missouri team.  And FSU is FSU, and perhaps always will.


For me the biggest upset - bigger than Murray State beating Vanderbilt, a game Obama called on ESPN - was the ninth best team in the MAC dominating Georgetown.  The Hoyas, who's system has been predicated on tough defense since John Thompson built the program in the late 1970s, gave up 97 points in 40 minutes to Ohio, a team that had a losing record in the Mid America Conference.


As a whole the Big East took a beating in the first round, and it should have been worse since Villanova did NOT deserved to defeat Robert Morris. 


But enough looking back.  Here is my quick look at this weekend's games (these picks are not intended to be the basis for any wagering; but if you remember Socrates' take on my picks why would you?):



Kansas will get a very tough game from UNI and everyone's favorite Iowa-born Iranian-American Ali Faroukmanesh. 


Michigan State should have lost in round one, and Maryland looked good but not flashy against Houston and will take down the Spartans.


Ohio vs. Tennessee is a toss up, but I don't think Ohio will play as well and Tennessee will not play as bad as in round one so I'm picking the Vols.


Ohio State looks Final Four worthy with the kind of dynamic leader in Evan Turner that often leads to good runs in the NCAA tournament.  Georgia Tech has it's hands full, but at least Paul Hewitt won an NCAA tournament game.


Syracuse will swamp Gonzaga.


This will be an interesting game as methodical Butler takes on athletic Murray State.  Butler handled a similarly athletic UTEP in the first round  and I think they will do the same and advance to their second sweet 16 in three years.


A semi-upset as the A-10s Xavier knocks off a Pitt team that limped into the post season.  That said, Jamie Dixon may be the coach of the year; Panthers lost almost as much talent as Carolina did but recovered to have a very good season. 


BYU over K-State is a real upset, but I'm not impressed by the Wildcats but am by Jimmer Whatshisname.  Any other year he would have the best name in the field but Jimmer has the unfortunate luck of playing in Faroukmanesh's shadow.


Why some, including my main man Hubert Davis, think a Dino Gaudio-coached team can upset Kentucky is beyond me.  If Wake Forest upsets the Cats I will eat my hat (note: I am not wearing a hat; offer not valid in areas without Congressional representation).


I wanted to pick Cornell over Temple but went with the A-10 for some reason.  This is a legit team that barely lost to Kansas in Lawrence this season.  Plus, Wisconsin plays at Cornell's pace so look for them to out badger the Badgers. 


My new dark horse is Washington and their dude Poindexter. Look for an easy win over an overrated New Mexico.


Can't believe Missouri beat Clemson, but West Virginia will send them home a day later than expected.


Duke should avenge their 1993 lose to Jason Kidd's Golden Bears but this will be tight game for the Devils.


Texas A&M will win a game no one cares about.


My sleeper final four team, Baylor, will have an easier time with the Monarchs than they did with Sam Houston State.


I compete my upset picks with taking St. Mary's over an overrated Villanova team.  The Gaels, despite have TWO girls names, are big inside - a weakness of the Wildcats.


So there you have it - either you heard it here first or 'all I know is I know nothing.'

No comments: