Tuesday, November 17, 2015

How the Antetokounmpo Family Became Greek

In honor of tonight's game - Evan and I are going - that pits Giannis Antetokounmpo and his Milwaukee Bucks against out hometown Wizards, I thought I would share my version of how the Antetokounmpo family ended up in Greece. Both Giannis and his brother Thanasis were born in Greece to Nigerian parents.

MY RE-CREATION
Mr. Antetokounmpo (after he comes home after a long day of work): Nigeria is a train wreck. No matter how hard I work our lives are still way too difficult. I can't imagine starting a family here either, under these difficult conditions.

Mrs. Antetokounmpo: Tell me about it, it's even harder for a woman!  But what can we do? I'd like to move the Europe, Canada or the United States, but I worry that our long last name is too hard to pronounce and will make it impossible to find meaningful employment, let alone fill out a job application!

Mr. Antetokounmpo:  Tell you what. I'll go to the library tomorrow and Google 'countries where citizens have very long last names.'  We can talk about it again tomorrow night.  Now let's listen to some King Sunny Ade while we eat dinner.

THE FOLLOWING EVENING

Mrs. Antetokounmpo: How'd it go at the library?

Mr. Antetokounmpo: Eureka! We're moving to Greece!

Mrs. Antetokounmpo: Greece? But we don't smoke, smell like garlic, dance in a circle OR bathe in olive oil!

Mr. Antetokounmpo: True, but the first name that came up on Google was Mr. Papaconstantinopoulou. Pack your bags!

No comments: