Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day

Just got back from voting, and it was awesome and inspiring. When I arrived at 8:30 am the line was around the corner. Despite the wait, it took less than half an hour to vote. I felt great casting my ballot, and smiled the entire time.

I was surprised by how nervous many of my fellow voters, and neighbors, looked. I ran into quite a few friends - John Mackay, the Rumelt-Burgess family, Matt from across the street, the Weisers - at the polls, and on the way out asked Cathy Burgess why more folks weren't smiling like me. Cathy mentioned that she was apprehensive about the outcome. I guess I shouldn't be surprised; quite a few of my crowd - and liberals across the country - has voiced a similar concern.

But I feel 353-electoral-votes great.

I'm off to canvass in Virginia - for Obama - in a few minutes. Turnout will be huge in this election, and I'm anxious to see how things feel on the ground in a battleground state.

But I know I feel great, a feeling that we are going to get the country back today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ath, it feels like a good day. I voted at 7:00 this AM and only had a 10 minute wait. Over 40% turnout in our county in early voting.

It would be great to see Obama take NC and I'm driving from noon until for our local GOTV effort.

I'm planning on smiling a lot today.

Jim In K-Town