Thursday, July 21, 2011

Top 12 songs of all time

On our recent car vacation to New England I had my iPod on random play through my entire (digital) music collection so heard a variety of songs.  Since returning to DC I've stayed on random play and have now come up with my latest top 12 list of the best songs of all time (Athan Manuel edition).

In no order, here goes:
  • My Girl, The Temptations
  • Roll Over Beethoven, Chuck Berry (also my vote for the U.S.'s national anthem)
  • Debaser, The Pixies
  • Tears of a Clown, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
  • What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding, Elvis Costello
  • I Will Dare, The Replacements
  • Superbad, James Brown
  • Road Runner, The Modern Lovers
  • Once in a Lifetime, Talking Heads
  • Fisherman's Blues, The Waterboys
  • Take Me to the River, Al Green 
  • Heatwave, Martha and the Vandellas
Honorable mention: See Saw, Aretha Franklin; Cry Cry Cry, Johnny Cash; Mystery Achievement, The Pretenders; Brothers Gonna Work It Out, Public Enemy; The Message, Grandmaster Flash the Furious Five; Daft Punk is Playing at my House, Losing My Edge, both by LCD Soundsystem; Los Angeles, X; Magnificent 7, The Clash; Summer Wind, Frank Sinatra; Holiday in Cambodia, The Dead Kennedys; Where the Streets Have No Name, Mysterious Ways, U2; Girl Like You, The Smithereens; Losing My Religion, REM; Don't Stop til You Get Enough, Michael Jackson; Walkin' After Midnight, Patsy Cline; etc. etc.

No comments: