Sunday, April 20, 2008

I guess it's me

Like the Heels did against Georgetown last year, the Wizards could not play with a lead, failed to score in the last four minutes of the game, and lost a winnable game against the Cavs yesterday.

Either I should have NOT TiVOed that game, or there a larger anti-Heel force out there.

The Wizards were in the penalty mid-way through the 4th quarter, yet they settled for jump shots instead of driving and drawing fouls. That was a huge brain freeze by the Wizards - a very good free throw shooting team - and coach Eddie Jordan.

The Wizards wasted great performances by Arenas, who was unconscious in the first half, Haywood, who had a double-double and came out hot, and Jamison, who had another 20-10 game.

But even worse, the Wizards did not back up their bluster and let LeBron James take over down the stretch. Why anyone would call him overrated - and wave the red flag in his face - I don't know.

The Wizards were hoping to steal at least one game in Cleveland, so are still in good shape.

Game twos can sometimes be treacherous, and I think it will be important for the Wizards to come out strong on Monday night. Cleveland has some momentum going into game two, momentum that can turn into a blow out if the Wizards aren't careful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a late vote for Danny Green's dunk for Tarheel play of the year. That dunk summed up Duke and UNC perfectly: Duke tries to do the by-the-book, teacher-told-me to, I'm-gonna-be-an-investment-banker-in-four-years type play by taking the charge instead of going up and trying to block the shot like a man. And UNC uses its raw athletic prowess to jump OVER the Dookie and emasculate him, all while staying classy and within the rules. I loved it.

I can't get too excited about the Bullets/Wizards so I'll have to focus on coaching the PIRG/Earthjustice/LCV team to victory over CLAW. See you on the emerald chessboard.

Athan said...

Love the emerald chessboard.